Sugary Halloween candies can play tricks on your teeth, even the smaller fun size pieces. When sugar gets trapped on your teeth, the natural bacteria in your mouth feeds on sugar and breaks down the enamel on your teeth. The longer sugar lingers on your teeth the more likely damage can occur.
Not all candy is created equal. Sour candy is high in acid which can damage a tooth directly and soft or sticky candies can stick to your teeth causing sugar to linger longer. Don’t let sweets haunt your smile, instead take advantage of these five tips to reduce sugar on your teeth:
Swish your mouth with water immediately after eating sugar:
Don’t brush your teeth immediately after eating sugar instead swish your mouth with water. This rinses the acid off your teeth before it causes lasting damage.
Switch to sugar free candies:
There are so many great sugar free candy alternatives available and make a delightfully sweet substitute.
Chew gum with Xylitol:
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that doesn’t stick to your teeth or cause damage. There are several name brands that have Xylitol.
Limit your sugar intake:
In addition to the damage to your teeth, sugar doesn’t have any nutritional benefits.
Eat Only Smaller Candies:
Eating smaller pieces of candy makes it less likely for sugar particles to get stuck on your teeth.
We want your kids to love Halloween for years to come so don’t forget to floss your fangs!